The quintessential hot emo guy looked like this. If I recall correctly, he’s some DeviantArt chick’s younger brother and he probably has a mortgage now.
So I didn’t like Buzzfeed’s list. I’m going to make my own, shorter list instead. Not in any real order, and I tried to keep the list to one-band minimum, even though I used to have the whole Ocean Avenue, Riot!, and A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out. Mitigate the bias just a little, ya know?
1. I Will Follow You into the Dark – Death Cab for Cutie
2. My Immortal – Evanescence
3. Emergency – Paramore
4. Famous Last Words – My Chemical Romance
5. Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off – Panic! At The Disco
6. Grand Theft Autumn – Fall Out Boy
7. Straylight Run – Existentialism On Prom Night”
8. All That I’ve Got – The Used
9. The Curse of Curves – Cute is What We Aim For
10. Everything We Had – The Academy Is
11. It Ends Tonight – The All-American Rejects
12. Boys Like Girls – The Great Escape
13. Empty Apartments – Yellowcard
14. Blurry – Puddle of Mudd
15. The Middle – Jimmy Eat World
The intensity of my Harry Potter fangirling was greater back then, as was my consumption of fanfiction and badly written smut on Quizilla, the frequency of my photography and poetry on DeviantArt, and my ranting (that got me into trouble!) on Xanga (now defunct, hopefully.) Also, JPop and JRock.
Honorary mentions: Jack’s Mannequin, Armor for Sleep, Avril Lavigne, Linkin Park, 30 Seconds to Mars, Radiohead, R.E.M, etc.